Thursday, July 31, 2008

Meri Jaan

Meri Jaan…

Great music…wonderful friends… laughter and goodwill…

When you just look around and wonder if it gets any better.

And then it does.

A wave of memories, a twinge of sadness…and a whole lot of pride…

A whole year in XLRI and I could never figure out why my seniors swayed to this one song with such abandon. I mean, it’s a song.

It’s also a legacy. It caught me unawares. But I sang with all my heart, meaning every word, cherishing every beat, holding on to the others, entranced like me. But it’s more than that. How many Xlers in the past connected over the same song? How many memories could a few notes evoke, differing in time but identical in spirit?

Such passion, such zest for an institution, for everything it stands for, for the times spent here and the times to come. Such respect for everyone I have known here and for all that they did and they are doing to give back, to make things that much better for the next lot.

So cheers to us…Each and every one of the faculty, batchmates, my seniors, my juniors and XLers all over. A toast to the good times, the not so good times, the friends, the learning and the unlearning. To XL!

Meri jaan…meri jaan…


- Harsha Khubchandani, BM '09

2 comments:

Bij Chabs said...

Talk about magic... The song is the magic...

kal said...

heh... yeah, the song does course through the hearts of many. recently saw the video of our farewell night, which ended with this song, and all my batchmates getting up and singing. wondering where i was, it struck me that i had abandoned my usual desire for centre stage, and was standing somewhere at the back, obscured by clouds, taking in the emotional energy emanating from everybody in the small audi, as we all sang:
"kar ke hamein bekaraar..."